Saturday, March 2, 2013

Domestic or China....Social Worker Has Us Thinking

We had areally nice visit with Christine, our social worker. It was nice to see her again. I still can't quite believe we are back on the adoption rollercoaster. Christine was here last Friday. She was scheduled to come on that Saturday but there was a threat of snow so she rescheduled it for Friday night. We talked for almost two hours. She will be coming again at the end of March to actually start the paperwork to get accepted for the China program.

While she was here she asked us which program we were looking at and we said the China Special Needs program. She wants us to think about the domestic program. I guess there is a need for families in that program. But, I am just not sure. I would love to adopt a newborn and the thought of that is very appealing, but we just do not want an open adoption with our child having contact with the birth family. It just wouldn't be fair to Colby who will never have that. I wouldn't mind sending photos through an agency without any identifying info but not a full open adoption. So, that really limits our availability and we would be waiting for a birth mother to like our family portfolio. There wouldn't be a set time frame and there would be a whole lot of unknowns. I just don't think it would fit our family's needs. But I will touch base with Mary who heads up that program and see what she thinks. Maybe I am being too harsh and too quick to dismiss this. I just don't see us as that "lucky" couple who falls into a quick and easy adoption process. More likely, we'd be the family who waits forever and does finally get a match only to have the whole thing fall through and us left standing empty handed in a hospita somewhere. What do you all think? Any experience and words of wisdom?

Thus far, the paperwork has been so easy. I am amazed at the huge difference between this paperwork and what we did for Russia. I'm still waiting for someone to give me a list a mile long of documents that they need tomorrow! But the dossier list of docs looks really small and I could probably get them done within a couple days. So, we wait for the homestudy to be written and we enjoy our days, waiting for Spring to arrive. With Spring...the arrival of new things and new possibilities. Here's to shooting toward dossier being complete for Colby's birthday end of April...

4 comments:

  1. My first adoption was with China special needs and everything went WONDERFUL!!! Mattie is now 7 and has been home for almost 6 years. I am a single mom and before I adopted I went thru an ugly divorce that had many unexpected difficult surprises for me. Any ways to make a long story short I adopted international (China, Russia) so I would not have to worry about the birth mom/dad come knocking at my door and well it might be selffish of me I just did not think I could handle any more SURPRISES in my life not to mention the effect of birth parents coming back into a childs life. I hope this helps and does scare yo at all again it is just my opinion and I am sure what ever way you choose to adopt it will be the right decision for your family!!!

    BETH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I have missed reading updates on your boys. I hope everything is going well. We will be just the opposite of you. Colby came home from Russia in 2009 and now I think we will stick with China for our second.

      Delete
    2. I know I am busy with the boys and work and trying to keep a house clean and organized yah right LOL. Any ways they are boys doing great. Mattie is in 2nd grade and doing wonderful, he will need more surgery in about 2 years to repair his gum line before the 2nd teeth can come in. Jake well he is 5 now it was 3 yrs today I was in court in Russia hard to believe. He is the busy one but he loves school and to be outside nd is doing great. I will try to post some pictures on face book soon so you can see them. Good luck on your adventure.
      Beth

      Delete
  2. Such an exciting time. I don't have any words of wisdom for you. You have a good agency so gather the facts and trust your heart.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete